Facts About The Sun
NASA has its eyes on the Sun. Why? Because eventually the sun will envelop the earth and destroy us all. Here are some mind-blowing facts about our Sun that may just scare you.
- DID YOU KNOW? One million Earths could fit inside the Sun.
- Around 74% of the Sun’s mass is made up of hydrogen. Helium makes up around 24% while heavier elements such as oxygen, carbon, iron and neon make up the remaining percentage.
- The Sun is an almost perfect sphere. The temperature inside the Sun can reach 15 million degrees give or take a degree or 100.
- The Sun’s surface temperature is around 5500 degrees Celsius or 9941 degrees Fahrenheit, so pack plenty of sunscreen if you plan on visiting – although it may not keep you from catching fire.
- The Sun is 4.6 billion years old and will eventually consume the Earth.At around 1,392,000 kilometres (865,000 miles) wide, the Sun’s diameter is about 110 times wider than Earth’s.
- The light we receive from the Sun reaches Earth in around 8 minutes.